You were working the same as any other day when you heard something unusual whirring nearby. It was only a few moments later when one of the large machines in the vicinity jammed.
It was always your job to repair the machines, so you got to work. You told your co-workers that you’d be working inside the machine and that it needed to have the power cut off. They agreed and said they’d do it. They motioned that they’d turned if off before you stepped inside to find the problem.
Unfortunately, the person who cut the power didn’t turn off the right fuse. As you began to work, you saw a spark. Before you could pull away, you were a victim of an electrocution.
Electric shocks are more common on the job than you may believe. They can happen due to faulty wiring, failing to turn off the power to a machine and from not wearing the right protective attire.
Electrocutions are serious and need to be treated immediately. Victims, depending on the voltage, may suffer from:
- Serious burns
- Heart attacks
- Trouble with vision or hearing
- Muscle spasms
- Breathing issues
- And so many other symptoms.
Did you know that approximately 8.9% of construction worker deaths were caused by electrocution in 2013? In 2018, 86 people were killed in the construction sector alone due to electrocutions.
If you are electrocuted on the job, get medical care as soon as you can. Even a minor electric shock can cause burns and damage to your skin and tissues. You can then seek workers’ compensation to help cover your lost wages, medical expenses and other financial losses.